Comment EI-25796
Received or sent (printed as 3/3/2017)
When the STB okayed a suspension of the DEA environmental review for docket # FD 35952, it was clearly advised Great Lakes Basin Transportation was to submit an update regarding progress in filing their proposed project’s application. I am appalled that GLBT submitted a broad generalized statement on Feb. 28 and did not address what progress they have made toward completing an application. Was this what the STB was requesting? Had GLBT actually put effort into completing the application or are they sitting back to see how politics shake out? The statement, “We are holding discussions with potential customers, shippers, and other parties who may file statements in support of the application.” is insulting. GLBT filed with the STB a year ago and began discussions prior to filing yet they are still seeking potential customers who may file statements of support. They are wasting the time and resources of a federal agency with tasks that should have been the basics when forming a business plan. “Build it and they will come” places all the burden of risk on the tax payers. It is clear they have not even done the basics of a business plan and continue to make sweeping generalized mentions with no real evidence of need or necessity. While GLBT is putting together the basic first level of a business plan the landowners and concerned community members are paying federal taxes and living with the stress of an unknown future. Families are losing sleep over the potential project taking their property and endangering their income and quality of life. GLBT has requested additional time to get their business plan in order while we thousands of potentially impacted people must live with the uncertainty hanging over our heads indefinitely. I urge the STB to set a time limit for GLBT to submit their application. If the April 30 extension date is granted, I respectfully submit that the STB put a deadline ultimatum in place requiring GLBT to submit their completed application at that April 30th date or the STB will dismiss their request with a “no build” response. Please consider the record of GLBT. They obviously brought their proposal to the STB before they did their basic homework and now are expecting the board and citizens to wait while they try to figure out how to justify their scheme or get around the basic questions.
Submitted by: susan sack · Mendota, IL
The Board publishes this comment in its environmental-comment table for this proceeding. It is quoted here as printed; nothing is inferred from it, and it states the commenter's own position in their own words, not this record's.
Permanent address docketyard.org/d/FD-35952/comment/EI-25796 · back to the docket sheet